Search2

 Use Enhanced Google Search for More Great Information on Health & Traditional Medicine

Search

Friday, September 14

Dried Ginger


Materials:

Ginger
Sodium metabisulfite

Utensils:
Plastic basins Plastic bags
Knives Colander
Ladle

Procedure:

Sliced Ginger
1. Wash fresh whole ginger

2. Peel by scraping off the skin with the blunt side of a knife.

3. Slice into 1/3 cm. thickness.

4. Soak in 2% sodium metabisulfite solution (11/2 tbsp./liter of water) for 5-10 minutes.

5. Drain liquid. Spread on wire trays lined with nylon mesh or sinamay.

6. Dry under the sun or in any suitable dryer such as the solar dryer until slices are crisp.

7. Pack in plastic bags or any insect-proof container.

Whole Ginger

1. Wash fresh whole finger. Cut into convenient sizes (about 2-3 cm. long).

2. Scrape off the skin with the blunt side of a knife.

3. Soak in 2% sodium metabisulfite solution (1 week or longer) in a covered container.

4. Drain and spread on wire or bamboo trays.

5. Dry in any suitable dryer like a solar dryer or under the sun.

6. Pack in plastic bags or any insect-proof container.

Source: Technical Information and Documentation Division, ITDI (DOST) , photo courtesy of tcm.health-info.org
Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

  1. Robin
    I use my mini food processor to quick grind my basil---a xmas gift one year for that very thing. I pull the leaves off the stems first of course, done while I sit and listen to a show or music then I stuff them in and pulse. I try and do a large amount of it since I dirty all the same stuff regardless.
    Anyway...if I will freeze straight basil I add just a touch of olive oil in the processor when the leaves are fairly well ground. The oil helps the ground leaves stick together better and facilitate packing into an ice cube tray or muffin tin (I use both depending on eventual basil use). I put it in to freeze for a number of hours then pop out and place in a freezer container or bag.
    For pesto...you can make it and keep it in the fridge for a while with a coating of oil to keep out air. It will last a month or so that way as long as the oil stays covering it. Or you can freeze it. Again...like mentioned above or in small jars if you have enough space. If I ever find out the processing time for pesto I will can ALL my basil. I would find that easiest as I have had bags let in air during the winter and so have lost some of them to freezer burn before. bummer.

    JodyM...I don't think you would have made it to work before figuring that out Jody :-D Your eyes would have been smarting just having more than a couple cut open and airing out in the room :-D But hey....I have done some stinky and sticky things in my truck/alternative solar dryer...so live and learn right!

    Daphne Gould...Yeah your right the grinder is not an absolute for all things. Especially leaves. However...for my peppers it is a must and I also use it to mix spice mixes up too. So...I do like it but I could do with out it for some things.
    BTW...chamomile and rosemary. Mmmm....I don't generally do rosemary since it lives year round here if placed well but occasionally I do a bit for spice mixes. Chamomile....just doesn't seem to like this area so I have to purchase that if I want it. It has a fabulous smell though and I would love to expend a bit of electricity to make my house smell like it :-)

    ReplyDelete

Disclaimer

Articles in this site is solely provided for informational purposes only.  Our POSTS ARE NOT INTENDED TO PROVIDE MEDICAL ADVICE. Before undertaking any course of treatment, the reader must seek the advice of their physician.